Thursday, June 10, 2010

Review: Collapse

Watched the documentary feature Collapse last night. The film is directed by Chris Smith who is most famous for making my all time favorite documentary American Movie. If you are a filmmaker, or a lover of films American Movie is a must watch, and one of the funniest films I've ever seen. Anyways...Collapse, check out the trailer to get an idea of what's happening.



As seen in the trailer the entire film is an interview in a dark basement with one man with sprinkled archival footage. That man is Michael Ruppert and unlike American Movie, Collapse is not a comedy, unless you have a very deep dark sense of humor. Some may find this movie incredibly boring or annoyingly one sided, but I'm just me and I found it quite reaffirming.

I've thought about the end of modern civilization for a long time in my short life. I can remember at a very early age putting two and two together in the facts of the gigantic rise in human population and our earths dwindling resources and that something radical is going to happen in the near future. This film outlines all of that clearly through Mr. Ruppert's insights. The major thing what the film doesn't do is back up most of his claims through evidence. While most of it is pretty common sense there was definitely room for supporting some of his statements. Mr. Ruppert says everything with such confidence and matter of fact speaking that most of the time you don't even notice or care that his statements aren't being backed up. I'll admit for my case it was more a matter of preaching to the choir, so I'd be interested to see what other people thought.

How the film is shot really enforces the subject matter. It's stark, dark, and ominous. Like a man hiding in a bomb shelter the interview has no sunlight or any other objects in the room. He is alone with only the directors voice off screen moving him along at some points. The slow dolly moves really draws you in as well.



Collapse has a double meaning in this film. As it's really more of a character study in the collapse of this chain smoking lonely man and his obsessive passion. By the end of the film you feel very sorry for him. Here's a guy who all he has is his dog and thoughts of doom. That's enough to drive anyone mad.

Overall it's a very interesting watch and I recommend it to everyone.

Official Website


I think it is important to note a major metaphor used in the film. It centers on the sinking of the Titanic. (the sinking of civilization...whoah) There are three kinds of people on the ship:

1: The deer in the headlights people who are running around freaked out confused and looking for direction.
2: The people who acknowledge the problem and try to find a solution.
3: The people who think the ship is unsinkable and go back to the bar.

What kind of person are you?


Do you're own research and make your own conclusions.

No comments:

Post a Comment