Monday, April 19, 2010

Review: The Man From London

Went to The Dryden Theatre to see the 2007 film "The Man From London" from the Hungarian director Béla Tarr. This is the second film I've seen from him, the first being the incredible 2000 film "Werkmeister Harmonies" I saw over the summer during Eastern European Film Class. Without a doubt or exaggeration "Werkmeister Harmonies" is one of the best and most enthralling films I have ever seen so I was instantly interested when I heard his newest film was being played here in Rochester on the big screen in 35mm.



I knew nothing about the film going into it for which I quite enjoyed. We are too often over-saturated with what's going on in the movie from trailers, behind the scenes photos, and director interviews before the film is even released. So it was really refreshing to have none of that and just watching the movie from frame one.

The film follows a railway worker as he gets mixed up with a man from London. Much like Werkmeister Harmonies, the story is not what draws you in. It is how it is portrayed and put on screen. Through a series of long takes, some lasting upwards of 10 min, you are hypnotically enthralled into the movie, no time to blink, no time for escape, you are there with the characters within the space. The film is also shot in stunning black and white, with vibrancy that would even make Pandora jealous.

There were some dubbing issues that seemed odd in this print of the film. Where some characters were speaking English with no subtitles but their mouths were definitely saying something else. This also occurred to characters who were speaking French, with English subtitles, again with their mouths saying something different. This was a little jarring at first but as you got more into the film it actually kinda added to the sense of uneasiness.

This film is not for everyone. But if you enjoy great cinematography and camera-work and can deal with a slow pace and story then check it out. Try to see it on the big-screen though, or at least a really big TV and sit up close.

No comments:

Post a Comment