Thursday, April 22, 2010

Review: Kick-Ass

Went to the matinée at the Henrietta Regal Cinema this afternoon to see Mathew Vaughn's new film "Kick-Ass". I have not read the graphic novel by Mark Millar of the same name for which this is based. I definitely want to check them out now. Like most books I'm alright with checking out the Cinematic equivalent first.(I really love this poster, one of the best I've seen in a while)



The film follows your average high school kid Dave Lizewski. Think Peter Parker but without being smart. A big fan of comic books he begins to wonder and discuss with his friends why no one ever tried to actually be a super hero in real life. (you've seen the trailer, you know the story). He does. Shit goes down. Hard core.

I had a blast with this movie. Without a doubt the most entertaining film I've seen this year so far. From beginning to end I was completely captivated and in the movie. Not once was there a "hmmm i should check my email" or "I wonder if it's still nice outside" or "Why's the floor so sticky?" thought moments. For a movie to have this effect deserves quite the high five to the creators. First and Foremost, I'll admit that I'm dead center within the films "Target Audience" of the american young adult dreamer who likes superhero's and has an odd yet scientifically normal amount of blood-lust. I'll be honest, I've thought about being a superhero/real-life vigilante myself and have even drawn up some costumes. You could say that it's like feeding mice cheese, or monkey's bandannas or Paris Hilton STD's. Give'em what they like. I agree with that, but I feel like this film really did a lot of things right on a level beyond that.

The film was perfectly casted across the board. Aaron Johnson did an awesome job as the lead of Dave/Kick-Ass. I connected with him within the opening credits and he was totally believable the whole time as the naive superhero wannabe. The role of Kick-Ass's love interest Katie played by Lyndsy Fonseca is a great casting choice as well. She is the perfect girl next door that you instantly fall in love with when you see her on-screen. Christopher Mintz-Plasse (McLovin) plays the kid with no friends... again. With this film it works. Sure he's being typecast, but that's the character of Red Mist. Nicholas Cage brings out an excellent Adam West impression as the revenge crazy Big Daddy. One girl killing machine Hit Girl is played by the cute as button Chloe Moretz. Again, great casting of a gifted young actress who can deliver all those lewd and crude lines with a level of sincerity and reality that doesn't feel forced or cheesy.


The World where Kick-Ass resigns is grounded in a believable and relatable reality with flares of fantasy that is well within the confines of suspension of disbelief without being too extravagant. The violence is brutally real. Without spoiling anything I'll just say some serious shit goes down to our hero Kick-Ass. Stuff that would definitely happen to someone if they did decide to be a Superhero in our modern world. Not to say that all of the violence and is realistic, but there are enough realistic consequences to enforce the sense of reality needed to make the more flourishy stuff even more exciting. One of the best aspects of the film was damn fine tension. In a lot of superhero films real tension is hard to accomplish due to the fact you know there is going to be a sequel and everything will turn out fine. (a good exception is the train sequence in Spider-Man 2). Kick-Ass is not your typical kind of super hero movie, all rules are out. Characters could die at any moment. This is legit. Another thing the film go right was it's recognition of the power of the internets. People don't read the newspaper. It's 2010. Welcome. How are you? Here's a computer machine.

If you are a teenage to twentysomething American male, or ever were one and not a stuck up butt head, go see this movie. If you're not, you'll probably find this offensive and reprehensible. That's cool. I'm just saying, I enjoyed it. So it did it's job fully.

No comments:

Post a Comment